Kwara has a culture that emphasizes sustainable processes, kindness, and work-life balance. We value diversity in all its forms and believe that a broad range of lived experiences makes our team and product stronger. This is especially important to us as our leadership team includes diverse racial backgrounds and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Kwara is a well-funded venture-backed startup by Softbank, Finparx, Google, Norrsken, FINCA Ventures, Catalyst Fund and Kepple.
We are a remote-first engineering team, with engineers across the EU and Africa. We have an office in Berlin and an office in Nairobi, from which you are welcome to work if that fits with your lifestyle. We care more about finding talented and motivated engineers than their physical location.
Kwara is looking for a driven, experienced Senior Backend Engineer to join our Core Cell, focused on giving SACCO administrators a market-leading user experience.
You will be working on our Rails-based Backend application, which interacts with our Core Banking Engine via REST API, as well as other services via RabbitMQ.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Driving the design, development, and deployment of scalable, robust, and secure software systems
- Writing clean, maintainable, and well-documented code, adhering to best practices and industry standards, and contributing to the team's shared codebase
- Collaborating with other cross-functional teams, including other engineers and operations, to deliver high-quality backend code that meets the needs of the business
- Participating in code reviews, pair programming, and other forms of knowledge sharing with peers, ensuring that the team's codebase is of the highest quality and easy to maintain
- Staying up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in software engineering, bringing new ideas and best practices to the team
- Mentoring and coaching Junior developers on their path to excellence
- Troubleshooting and debugging production issues, working closely with the operations team to ensure defects are addressed and permanent fixes are implemented
- 5+ years of production experience in Ruby on Rails.
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs.
- Strong knowledge of database design and SQL.
- Familiarity with messaging queues such as RabbitMQ.
- Experience in optimizing and scaling web applications.
- Knowledge of Git and Agile methodologies.
- Familiarity with AWS or other cloud platforms.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience.
What if we told you that banking in emerging markets could actually work for the majority? What if you could be part of that change?
At Kwara, we've dedicated ourselves to improving financial health in emerging markets, and the little known truth is that credit unions are the fastest way to get there. With more than 1.2 billion people horribly underbanked, there's no time to waste. ⚡
A credit union is a local community bank that's owned by its clients - a simple but elegant set up that ensures all incentives are aligned. They offer affordable loans, so people don't get sucked into debt traps by loan sharks, and also help their end users build up that magical habit of saving - so rainy days aren't so worrisome ☔ and the future is worth looking forward to.
Kwara provides the tools credit unions need to operate securely, efficiently and digitally, while delivering a sleek and modern experience for the millions of people who rely on them. We've started in Kenya, where there are 10 million credit union end users already - and where in 2030 there will be 20 million end users. It's just the beginning, and we are welcoming wildly ambitious and passionate builders to create a future where retail banking works for everyone. Sounds like you? Book your spot!